Saturday, September 11, 2010

Seal Pup

The edge of Puget Sound is a mere 700 feet from my front door as the Northwestern crow flies.  On quiet mornings or evenings I can smell the salt air.  I usually take a walk the beach with my dog Ranger about every weekend, unless the tide leaves little beach exposed.

Sometimes I will see a seal slowly raise its head just above the water maybe 50 or so yards out.  They watch me as I walk the beach then slowly dunk down again.

At this time of the year, the mother Harbor seals have given birth.  They will leave their newborn pups on the beach while they go off and forage.  It is very important to understand that the pup is not abandoned and is best left alone.  Ranger spotted this one before I did but I was able to call Ranger back before the pup panicked and broke for the water.
















Another sign of fall are the Heerman's gulls having made their annual migration northward from the beaches of Baja California.  They'll head south again before winter's wet and chill hit.  These gulls are all gray with a beautiful red beak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment